The following application materials must be submitted to the HAESF office in Budapest by the application deadline. All applications must be complete and include the following materials written in English:
- HAESF Senior Leaders and Scholars Application Form – a PDF write/save enabled template that you may download, save and complete on your computer.
- Personal Statement (detailed instructions included on the Application Form)
- 2 Letters of Reference (1 from the applicant's home institution or company, 1 from an external source).
The Letter of Reference should:
- Be written or translated into English
- Indicate the nature of relationship with applicant
- Discuss how the proposed project relates to candidate's career goals and Hungarian development
- Assessment of applicant's character, abilities, strengths, and weaknesses
- Detailed contact information of the referee
Letters of Reference should be submitted in a signed and sealed envelope.
- Proof of English language proficiency (for non-native English speakers). Please submit one of the following:
- TOEFL: minimum score of 600 on the old paper-based exam (ITP) or 90 on the Internet-based exam (iBT)
- Any complex English language exam at a C1 (advanced) level
- Complex state proficiency exam of English language (advanced level) and its English translation
Please note, prior to or shortly after every application deadline, HAESF provides applicants who fulfill all other HAESF eligibility requirements but do not have a state recognized advanced language exam with the opportunity to take an institutional TOEFL exam. For details, please contact HAESF's Budapest office.
- Current Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Letter(s) of support from U.S. organization(s) involved with Project Proposal
- Project Proposal
The Project Proposal should include:
- Title of project
- Length of time, project start and end dates, location(s) and contact information of the U.S. host organization(s)
- Project goals and objectives
- Detailed description of the project
- Project schedule: weekly or monthly, depending on the length and nature of the project
- Practical details: methods for securing accommodation, transportation, facilities, equipment etc. (when applicable)
Budget: a template for an itemized projection of expenses is enclosed with the application form. Please, thoroughly follow the budget guidelines included on the Application Form when submitting your estimates. Unitemized or incomplete entries will not be considered.
Please submit all of your application documents via email as attachment to your email message. In case your email provider has a limitation on the size of the message you can send, please submit multiple messages. Each email message will be confirmed separately.
Attachments may be sent as document files, image files, scanned files or PDF files.
In order to complete the application process, all applicants whose proposals receive a positive expert evaluation and fulfill HAESF's mission will be invited for an interview, conducted in English, with a HAESF representative. This interview serves multiple purposes: to learn more about the candidate's professional goals, objectives and interests; to discuss the project proposal in more detail and to assess the candidate's communication skills and English language ability.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee comprised of HAESF's Board of Advisors and HAESF representatives. Applicants will be selected based on but not limited to the following criteria:
- Potential future contribution to Hungarian society
- Matching professional objectives and project plans to the values and mission of HAESF
- Clearly articulated professional goals
- Project proposal: achievable goals & results, realistic budget & action plan
- Ability to serve as an ambassador of Hungary
- Strength of recommendations
- English language communication skills
- Diversity of practice areas, professional interests and applicants
Notification & Acceptance Process
Applicants will be notified via email regarding the final status of their application according to the published timeline. Successful applicants should be advised that the acceptance package will include a significant amount of forms and paperwork. In order for HAESF to successfully secure U.S. visas and facilitate training placements, it is essential that the paperwork be complete, accurate and submitted in a timely manner as outlined in the acceptance materials. The HAESF office in Budapest will provide assistance should applicants have any questions or concerns.